Google Releases Entire Nik Collection for FREE

I can hardly believe it but it’s true. There’s no catch and they are even promising a refund for those of us who purchased the software. Here is the link

If you haven’t downloaded the software do it immediately before they come to their senses.

19 thoughts on “Google Releases Entire Nik Collection for FREE

Rick said:
    March 24, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Good news in one sense, but likely this means little or no more updating of the tools. No revenue….

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 24, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Perhaps, but good software that’s free is rare. I think this is a gret offer.

Rick said:
        March 24, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Not contesting that, but for those who paid (and that’s NOT what this is about, the paying) and have been using it, failure to update means it gradually loses relevance and usability as OS and image processing software changes. Very little has been done since Google took it over. Fine for now, and price is right, but you get what you pay for 🙂

thelightweightphotographer said:
        March 24, 2016 at 9:46 pm

That’s also true. In my book, the image quality from the Nik tools has now been overtaken by both Exposure from Alien Skin and the On1 Phot editing suite.

chrisfid1 said:
    March 24, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Thank you very much for the info!

Garner Les said:
    March 24, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Hi Robin Thank you so much for passing this info on. Downloaded and ready to try it out. Much appreciated Best regards Les Garner

> On 24 March 2016 at 20:52 The Lightweight Photographer

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 25, 2016 at 4:22 pm

No problem. Nik is a terrific product but as Rick pointed out, lets hope they continue to develop it.

lauramacky said:
    March 25, 2016 at 1:17 am

I’ve had Nik forever. I hope it continues to work. I’ve been using topaz and Macphun more lately.

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 25, 2016 at 4:25 pm

I agree. let’s hope they continue to develop Nik. I also use Topaz as their plugins give a nice arty feel. I’m not familiar with Macphun but then I work exclusively in Windows.

martinwilliams said:
    March 25, 2016 at 10:27 am

Annoyingly I purchased mine at the end of 2015 – so no refund….

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 25, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Not good timing Martin. It might be worth still trying to contact them and asking if they would consider a partial refund. It would seem fairer than having a hard cut off date.

Martin Sadler said:
    March 25, 2016 at 10:43 am

I’m a little confused – the Google-Nik web-site seems to indicate that this is a 15-day free trial:

More affordable than ever

You don’t have to choose between plug-ins — now you get the full set for one low price. You can take the whole collection for a spin with a 15-day free trial.

UNQUOTE

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 25, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Hi Martin, I’m not sure where you are seeing this. When I read the press release it does say that the desktop version will be free.

Robert Dillon said:
      March 25, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Try refreshing your browser . . . . I have just downloaded it free t to two different devices. Good luck.

Robert Dillon said:
    March 25, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for sending this on Robin. To think I almost bought it last week ! I think google are one of the best out there. After-all can we really believe that google earth is free and you can go and look at any location, anywhere in the world. Google drive is excellent too. Sorry . . . . . that’s enough google pushing. Thanks again Robin.

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 25, 2016 at 5:34 pm

It’s great news. I recall when they bought out Nik, reduced the price of the software and gave everyone a refund who had bought it previously. I’m also hoping it means more potential purchasors for my Nik books.

Ken Clarke said:
    March 28, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Many thanks for the information Robin – sorry, I’m a bit late onto this one. Can confirm though that Google refunded my purchase costs today for the software, so they are being very true to their word. As you’ve said before, let’s hope they do continue to update the software for the future. many thanks for the heads-up!