Monochrome Forest

Posted on Updated on

Olympus EM5, 12-40mm lens. f/4.0, 1/200" at ISO800
Olympus EM5, 12-40mm lens. f/4.0, 1/200″ at ISO800

The Friday image this week seemed to draw a few favourable comments so I thought that I would post another similar image. I have also included the colour image below, but this time I personally prefer the colour image. I can’t say why this is but the colour image seems to have more depth to it.

Colour version of image
Colour version of image. My preference with this shot.

8 thoughts on “Monochrome Forest

John Nicholson said:
    June 20, 2016 at 7:13 pm

It is easy to like the colour image, and the green is pleasing – which can’t always be said of greens! But IMO the b&w makes a sreonger visual statement.

Francis Frank said:
    June 20, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I fully agree with John Nicholson. By the way, this B&W image and a similar you presented a few days ago are very reminiscent of the front picture on the ansel Adam’s book “the print”.

June 21, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Francis. I’m starting to feel in the minority. I just looked back at my copy of the Print and I can see what you mean – great praise fo me.

Allister said:
    June 20, 2016 at 8:51 pm

I too find the B&W attracts me more. I think it is because the texture appears more pronounced and the water droplets provide a more distinct contrast.

June 21, 2016 at 7:19 pm

OK, now I am feeling in the minority. I will point out that the colour image has less work done on it.

Robert S. said:
    June 20, 2016 at 11:54 pm

All three people are right! the B&W photo are great! they really pop out and are pleasing to the eye!!

June 21, 2016 at 7:20 pm

At this point in replying to everyone I have to say that I converted the colour image to black and white and then did some selective contrast and structure enhancement with Silver Efex Pro.

billmevers said:
    June 29, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I believe you were spot on Tthe color photo is more interesting because of the feeling of depth.