OK, here’s the question a friend and I were recently kicking around. If you could only have one camera and lens, what would it be and why?
For me, this is really difficult. I have a lot of cameras and quite a collection of lenses. I can see the benefits and drawbacks of each and none is perfect for every eventuality. If I had to restrict myself to one, it would be the Sony RX10 for the following reasons:
- The colours are wonderful and the image quality is good (at least it is now that I have had the lens replaced). I would though like a little more dynamic range in the RAW files.
- The lens is excellent. I really like the fast f/2.8 constant aperture and the focal range is very good at 24 – 200mm equivalent. This is almost perfect for a hiking camera as you never need to change lens.
- The battery lasts all day.
- It fits in a small shoulder bag even with a couple of Lee Seven 5 filters and an adapter ring.
- This is a hard one to describe but the camera is a joy to use. The quality is good and it somehow just feels right.
Sure, there is a lot wrong with the RX10 but for what I need and use a camera for, it’s pretty good. If it wasn’t the RX10 it would be the Fuji X-T2 with 18-135mm lens.