Friday Image No. 124

Bamburgh sunset. Fuji XT2 + 16-55 lens. 0.6 ND Grad and Polarising filter for extended exposure. f/10.0, 2" at ISO400
Bamburgh sunset. Fuji XT2 + 16-55 lens. 0.6 ND Grad and Polarising filter for extended exposure. f/10.0, 2″ at ISO400

Last weekend I was up in Northumberland, staying at Bamburgh. As you would expect of any landscape photographer, I took the opportunity to shoot the castle at both sunrise (wonderful) and sunset (challenging).

The image above is from one of the rather challenging “sunsets” (there wasn’t any sun) but I still like something about it. I have experimented quite a bit with the processing, even producing the black and white version below. Despite this, I don’t think I have hit on quite what I wanted (although the B&W is my favorite) so I think it will be back to Bamburgh at some point. I will share a few of the better images in the future.

Have a great weekend.

Bamburgh at sunset through the dunes
Bamburgh at sunset through the dunes

8 thoughts on “Friday Image No. 124

Stephan said:
    February 10, 2017 at 9:12 pm

beautiful!

Michael said:
    February 10, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Like you I also came last weekend and have been here all week. The weather has indeed been “challenging” for photography with much dense low cloud cover for long periods, apart from the rain, hail and snow. Last weekend, Sunday in particular, was the best day. For me the challenges up here are to take different aspects of the castles etc from the usual views and interpretations that you see on the internet or in magazines. However this is one of the best times to come here to avoid the crowds, so we will just have to take our chance with the weather. It’s a great coastline and you should come again. Good luck. Michael.

February 11, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Thank you. I wasn’t talking to yo in the dunes was I? I was asking about the composition so I could keep out of it. It’s just your comments remind me of the conversation I was having.

bobblesse said:
    February 12, 2017 at 11:14 am

Lovely, thanks, Robin.

georgemuses said:
    February 14, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Nice composition but for me the castle is a tad under exposed, the vinetting is a bit extreme, but a matter of taste.

February 14, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Thanks, and your comments about the castle and vignette are as I intended them to be. I wanted a more art inspired image as it doesn’t work as a traight colour shot.