A Personal Project

Moorland near to Blackstone Edge.
Moorland near to Blackstone Edge.

Sometimes it can be hard as a photographer to keep your motivation up and I think this is especially true with Landscape Photography where the weather is often uncooperative. This is where the personal project comes in.

Having a personal project helps you find the motivation to get out and shoot. But even then it can be difficult if your project isn’t something accessible and near to where you live. I personally have been searching for something near to home for some time but without success. Then it dawned on, I have the moorland of Saddleworth all around.

Now if you have ever tried shooting moorland, you will know that it can be some of the bleakest, depressing and most challenging of subjects. I have tried many times to shoot the area but failed miserably (unless it’s been snowing). But that’s before I was trying to shoot a project.

Once I resigned myself to multiple visits, I suddenly found a degree of patience that I hadn’t experienced before. No longer was I looking for that single amazing shot. Instead I was looking for scenes that would allow me to explore and represent the moors.

I now have a project “Views from T’ Moors”.

8 thoughts on “A Personal Project

John Nicholson said:
    February 29, 2016 at 10:21 pm

I really look forward to following this project. Moors are mysterious places with many moods, and Saddleworth Moors can look friendly (as here, despite the clouds) and bleakly unfriendly. I know Holme Moss even better, but they are related bits of country.

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 1, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Thanks John. I actually feel quite enthused by this idea as I have tried but failed in the past to achieve good images.

Kathleen said:
    February 29, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Thank you so much I am in that frustrating mood with my photography. I live in the Ribble Valley so beautiful so I will look close to home and let myself admire what I see and hopefully I will find my desire to see it also through my camera lens again.

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 1, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Thank you, I’m pleased you like this. The Ribble Valley is quite different but equally challenging. It’s often our familiarity with locations near to home that makes us overlook them.

dpawson said:
    March 1, 2016 at 7:32 am

It might be hard to pass on, but when you stop to appreciate it, even if it’s pissing down, a good moorland is a belting sight. In good weather I’d sit and stare for hours. Keep trying, I’ll follow this with interest. Saddleworth isn’t bad, not quite up to Yorkshire standards tho’ 🙂

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 1, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Thanks although I need to correct you about the location of Saddleworth. It may be in the Administrative borough of Oldham but the geographical boundaries place it in West Yorkshire. There is a Yorkshire rose carved into my firepace (200 year old house so I didn’t do it). We celebrate Yorkshire day each year and you will find our cricket clubs playing the Yorkshire Leagues. But a great Moor is a great sight wherever it is.

kev4908 said:
    March 1, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I live on the edge of Dartmoor, at times, a very bleak place indeed. I walk 10 or 12 mile at least 3 or 4 time a week with my camera and tripod, and managed to capture some of its character. I have been shooting in Infrared with my old Infrared converted Nikon D200 with some great results, I’ve favour infrared so much now that it has become my go to camera. Just received my first photo book back from the printers in A3 landscape format, stunning!
    Have Fun!

thelightweightphotographer said:
      March 1, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I’m very jealous. I would love to do that level of walking. Interesting that you have plumped for Infrared. I hadn’t thought of taking my infrared camera onto the moors. I was thinking mostly in colour but this would be a good option in Summer. Thanks for the idea.