I Love the Canon G16

Whitby Pier
Whitby Pier. Canon G16, ISO80, f/4.5, 1/500″. Black and white conversion in Nik Silver Efex Pro.

I have been using the G16 pocket Camera quite a lot recently and the more I use it the more I like it. I find the build good and the image quality very good. It’s easy to use and whilst it doesn’t shine in any one area it’s a great, well balanced package that’s a joy to use.

In fact, I like this camera so much I am going to sell it.

The reason is that I have been enjoying using it so much that I couldn’t resist buying a Canon G7X. The G7X is pretty much the same body except that it has an articulated screen which is something I really wanted on the G16. The other major difference is that the G7X has a 1” sensor and is 20Mpixels.

When I saw the discounted price on Amazon (reduced to £350) I couldn’t resist. I do hope it handles as well as the G16.

6 thoughts on “I Love the Canon G16

Cheryl said:
    August 8, 2015 at 5:24 pm

The G16 is in many ways my favorite. Can’t wait to read about your comparisons with the G7x!

August 8, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Thanks. I hope it lives up to expectations. But just in case I’m not selling the G16 until I know it does.

roy said:
    August 8, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I’ve come to the conclusion that you have too much disposable incom. what with all these new cameras you are purchasing.!

August 9, 2015 at 4:08 pm

It has nothing to do with disposable income. It’s a camera and therefore a necessity 😉

Roger Kelly said:
    August 9, 2015 at 11:25 am

Hi Robin

It’s great to see togs like yourself still using point n shoots. The 1″ type sensor is not to be underestimated. I was stuck between the G7X and the RX100ii when the prices dropped. I opted for the Sony as I preferred its screen and smallness. But the images print nicely to A3.

All the best.

Roger

August 9, 2015 at 4:14 pm

I liked the RX100 I had but the corners weren’t quite as sharp as I hoped for and the camera just felt too small to handle when it was cold. There are some great compact cameras available these days. Despite this its amazing how many people I talk to who write them off as toys. Good to hear that you are also a convert Roger.