Sony RX10 Problem and Frustration

Sony RX10, f/5.0, 1/100" at ISO80
Sony RX10, f/5.0, 1/100″ at ISO80
Sony RX10, ISO80, f/5.0, 1/125"
Sony RX10, ISO80, f/5.0, 1/125″

Regular readers of this blog may have noticed that I didn’t post the usual Friday Image on Friday. My apologies for this but I am still battling with too much to do and too little time. I have fallen some way behind in responding to emails and queries as the numbers have shot up recently. I love replying to everyone but it takes time.

Anyway, I set out on a walk in the Peak District today with a camera. I was going to take the new G16 but in the end I went for the RX10. I really do love this camera but it’s been somewhat of a frustrating relationship. My first ever outing found that the white writing around the edge of the lens reflected onto my filters when the sun was at certain angles. The other major frustration I have is that the image stabilisation is poor. Sometimes I find myself keep checking if it is actually on.

It’s very easy to find the shutter speed has dropped below 1/25″ as I like to shoot at the base ISO of 80. I find that 1/25″ is pretty much as slow as I can risk, even at the wide end of the focal range (the camera has a 24-200mm f/2.8 constant lens). Below this and camera shake is evident and ruins pretty much every shot unless you are lucky. That’s one of the problems with a sharp lens, you notice the smallest of movement.

More recently I have become attuned to this problem and now push the ISO to 200 or 400. This goes against the grain with me as I always want to shoot at the lowest ISO and I hate noise. But you know what, even at ISO400 you can barely notice it and the image quality is that much better.

So this has been a bit of me rambling (pun intended) to tell you that the RX10 is one of the most enjoyable cameras I have and the one that I increasingly turn to when I just want to walk and can’t be bothered with different lenses.

8 thoughts on “Sony RX10 Problem and Frustration

Chris Torrington said:
    January 25, 2015 at 11:24 pm

I also have the RX10. I agree it is a great travel camera but as you said you have to check the camera settings especially when you change shooting styles.

January 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I’m actually quite pleased that another owner agrees with me. I have seen so much written praising the camera (it is good) but very little about where it lets itself down. Thanks.

pbziegler said:
      February 20, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I have an RX-10, an A6000 and now added an A7. They all have their uses in my photography. You say you try to keep your ISO low but with the current crop (pun) of sensors and the ability to reduce noise in post-processing I am happy to shoot at ISO 1600 if needed to allow me to set the aperture I want and still shoot at a fast enough speed to prevent camera shake–at 72 years of age I can’t shoot at a 80th of a second like in the old days. But then film ISO was soooo slow.

February 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Your absolutely right about the performance of the sensors now. My problem is that I keep forgetting I can just up the ISO. I got into the habit of shooting with low ISO’s from using early digital cameras and I can’t seem to get out of it. As you say, it’s better to have a little noise than a blurred image.

Richard Jones said:
    February 1, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Is this a common problem with super zoom bridge cameras then?

February 4, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Not really as the RX10 isn’t a super zoom as we seem to find them these days. The range of the RX10 is 24-200mm. My personal view is that the image stabalisation in the RX10 isn’t very good and needs to be improved. What you will find though with longer focal lengths is that they are more difficult to hold steady so the stabilisation becomes more important.

Petra de Bruin said:
    February 10, 2015 at 12:14 am

That pic of the water is just magical. Makes me wanna come over and walk there.

February 10, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I’m pleased you like it. Just be warned that it rains a lot over here so most days this is a very different scene. It’s always easier to photograph locally because you can wait until the weather is right.