Canon G7X Field Report

Waterfall at Keld in the Yorkshire Dales. Olympus EM5 and Lee 6 stop ND Filter
Waterfall at Keld in the Yorkshire Dales. Olympus EM5 and Lee 6 stop ND Filter

Yesterday I met up with a friend for some well-deserved landscape photography. We had intended to visit Anglesey but the weather forecast was dreadful and so decided to visit Yorkshire instead. It was also a useful test of my new G7X to see how it faired in the field, especially as the Lensmate filter adapter had arrived from the US.

The Lensmate adapter was very easy to fit and whilst it’s made of plastic and feels a little flimsy, it just works well. I was able to screw in my Lee Seven 5 filter rings and use the same filter system as I use with my Micro 43 kit. The profile of the Lensmate is very thin which allows the camera to still fit in a pocket.

As the weather wasn’t really great for photography (damp and overcast) I spent most of my time shooting long exposures. For this I was using the Lee Little Stopper 6 stop Neutral Density filter. The image at the top of this post was shot using the filter attached to the EM5. Using it with the G7X I noticed a few things some of which I’m not too happy about.

The first thing was that no long exposure noise reduction. I went all thought the menus and settings but I couldn’t any settings and neither was it being performed automatically. Having said this, the results don’t appear to be suffering from long exposure noise.

The second thing I noticed was that when in aperture priority mode the longest shutter speed is just 1”. No problem really as I could switch to Manual Mode which allowed much longer shutter speeds, but it is a basic omission.

The third thing I noticed is that the display on the back of the camera could see through the 6 stop ND filter very clearly and which made composition much easier than with the EM5. The EM5 seems to struggle a little with these very dark filter.

The fourth thing that I noticed and which is something that I’m not happy about is that light is leaking into the camera from the lens barrel. Take a look at the following filter.

Light leaks on the Canon G7X, evident in long exposures
Light leaks on the Canon G7X, evident in long exposures

This is light leaking in where the two parts of the lens barrel join which allows the lens to extend and retract. The red in the image is the reflection from my red jacket which is reflecting off the back of the filter attached from the camera. I found that I was able to block it if I wrapped the lens barrel in a cloth. The other alternative was if I zoomed in as the problem was only really evident at wider focal lengths. I will be contacting Canon to see what they have to say about the problem.

Despite this problem, the camera seemed to perform well and the image quality was good. I will be posting something further about this soon.

8 thoughts on “Canon G7X Field Report

lasousa2015 said:
    August 23, 2015 at 8:11 pm

The camera should be sent packing.

August 23, 2015 at 8:39 pm

In all honesty, it’s only a problem with the long exposures but it is annoying. I want to see what Canon have to say for themselves.

David Moorhouse said:
    August 24, 2015 at 9:10 am

If you’re within the cooling off period from your retailer, can you not send it back & ask for a refund?
    If you’re outside this period I would ask for a replacement, the light leak is a major concern, it’s not fit for purpose, you are never going to be confident with it.

August 24, 2015 at 8:13 pm

I could return it for a refund possibly but I now have a lensmate adapter stuck to the front of it. I can remove this but then I need to buy another accessory to stick it to the camera (expensive as I have to buy from the US and page silly postage). I think I will do some testing to see if it has any effect other than on very long exposure images. I will also test out the LX7 as this has a similar arrangement in terms of attaching filters and having a two piece barrel.

Nigel Puttick said:
    September 5, 2015 at 9:43 am

Hi – I was very impressed by G7X reviews and ordered one. However at close distances, it consistently focussed 2cm beyond the indicated focus point (green square). It went back. Another one tested in a store did exactly the same. Have you checked the close focusing on yours?

September 5, 2015 at 3:13 pm

No I haven’t checked it as yet but I will. For my style of photography this wouldn’t be a problem as I like to achieve lots of depth of field and don’t shoot close up except with a macro lens. But I can imagine this being a problem and irritation. Thanks for raising it.

Matt Thom said:
    October 10, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I think the LX7 is the same as many of the 1/7 sensor compacts in that they take an extension tube at the base of the lens which extends just past the lens tip. This means you get the Leica look with a metal protected lens hood and a filter thread inside at the end to mount filters. It was like this on my LX6 and was very handy.

October 11, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Yes, the metal tube approach is used by the LX5, Canon G16 and a few others. The Lx7 has a slightly different approach which attaches to the fron of the lens and sits flat with it. This is a better solution as it fits in your pocket without removing the holder. The metal tube approach makes the camera too bulky.