Friday Image No.57

The doorway to the chapter house, Wells Cathedral. Olympus EM5, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/25"
The doorway to the chapter house, Wells Cathedral. Olympus EM5, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/25″

Do you ever have the experience of seeing one of your photographs and thinking “I really like this but I don’t know why”? You continue to look at the image and convince yourself that it’s poor or boring and move on. A few minutes later it catches your eye again and you think yes I do like that only to then change your mind.

As I was searching for this week’s Friday Image I had this exact experience with the image above. I will probably come to regret publishing it but then again there is something that I really like.

Whatever your view of the image have a great weekend and I hope you find time for some photography.

16 thoughts on “Friday Image No.57

Cheryl said:
    July 3, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I can see why you like this one. For me, the up flow of the pillars and the overlap of the sweeping curves causes movement. Very nice!

July 6, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Thank you. I think the original stone mason deserves a lot of credit. It’s an amazing place.

Kathleen said:
    July 3, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I understand why you like this shot and glad you did not delete it before you had another chance to re-assess.

Pete said:
    July 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Well I think it’s good. Great light and very nicely captured.

thirtysixdegreessouth said:
    July 4, 2015 at 4:51 am

I like it too. The gentle light and the form and flow of the arches and pillars give it a graceful feel.

dpawson said:
    July 4, 2015 at 5:02 am

‘appen ‘cos it’s a bloody good photograph?
    Shapes, patterns – light variation? It’s got it all.

Doug Wright said:
      July 4, 2015 at 6:12 am

Wonderful photo! The great light and converging lines really made your image work.

July 6, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Thank you. I think it’s the light, shapes and contrast that I like.

July 6, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Thanks very much 🙂

Andrea Bellelli said:
    July 4, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I understand your point and I agree that it applies to this image. At first sight I like it, but I could not explain exactly why. It clearly is not because of the subject in itself, rather the composition and the subtle interplay of the different curves on different planes. I think that ‘explaining’ the image or the reason why one likes it or not is not a good approach: in some cases it works, in others it does not.

July 6, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Thank you. I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we agreed that it’s often the images that don’t have obvious appeal that seem to endure the most. I’m already tiring of some of the images I shot that feature dramatic angles and light. This one has more of a timeless appeal which grows stronger the more I look at it.

sergio vianello said:
    July 4, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Usually gothic is a pretty severe style. Here you show us joyful stone fireworks! You can also hear Haendel’s Allelujah filling Wells Cathedral… P.S. I asked you to do a list of expedients to get the best from RX10 (see Friday Image N.56): may be it could be of general interest. Anyhow, enjoy your holidays with your family! Ciao. Sergio Vianello

thelightweightphotographer posted: ” Do you ever have the experience of seeing one of your photographs and thinking “I really like this but I don’t know why”? You continue to look at the image and convince yourself that it’s poor or boring and move on. A few minutes later it catches your”

July 6, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Thanks Sergio. Don’t worry, I have added your RX10 request to the list of tutorials.