Friday image No.014

Posted on Updated on

Hail storm in North Wales
Hail storm in North Wales

This week’s Friday Image is taken from last weekend’s trip to Wales. It’s such a shame the weather didn’t come up to expectations but then again there were periods of dramatic light and weather. Here you can see a hail storm crossing the valley.

Have a great weekend.

6 thoughts on “Friday image No.014

Alison said:
    March 28, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Very dramatic sky there, Robin. Is the graininess sensor noise, or added grain? I’m looking at it on a Retina screen, which may enhance the effect, I wonder.

March 28, 2014 at 8:16 pm

It’s a few things contributing to the look. Firstly there is grain added, a lot of grain. But I was lazy and added the grain whilst the image wias full sized so whilst it good for printing at A3, by the time it’s reduced to 1200 pixels on the long side it looks harsh. At least it does if yu use Bicubic Sharper reduction in Photoshop because you are being lazy (did I already say I was being lazy). Then I added a lot of structure, perhaps too much given how lazy I was. Finally (oops) I didn’t downsize to 1200pixels but 800. I suspect the image is suffering pixelation on your screen as it is on mine. I have just replaced it with a 1200 pixel version which looks better. By the way I was still being lazy with the grain and sampling.

Alison said:
        March 28, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Well, that is full disclosure, to be sure. And I learned something from it too, so thankyou. 🙂

March 28, 2014 at 10:21 pm

No problem. I thought people may pick up something useful (other than I like to take it easy given half a chance).

Photography Martin said:
    April 13, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Quite a moody shoot!

April 13, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Yes. You are quite limited really when the rock is very dark and the light is poor. Interesting results though.