Seasons Greetings – I think

Descent from Scafell, The Lake District. Three image stich from a Panasonic GX1, 14-45mm lens at 14mm, ISO160, f/7.1

I need to get something off my chest I’m afraid. Yesterday I sent out a mailing to my Lenscraft subscriber list wishing people a Merry Christmas a Happy New Year. As there are people from all over the world subscribing and no doubt from all faiths I did think long and hard about this as I never want to offend anyone.

In the end I reasoned that sending out my best wishes with the best of intentions wouldn’t be offensive. Putting myself in someone else’s shoes, if I were to receive a message of good wishes based on different faith I would actually be very happy.

It appears my good intentions have been well received by the majority. Someone even thanked me for not using the politically correct “Happy Holidays”. However there have been a few people who have taken offense and become angry. Well I’m sorry if I have offended anyone but isn’t it better to receive a well intentioned greeting than none at all?

28 thoughts on “Seasons Greetings – I think

pjs28jack said:
    December 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Ignore those who are not happy. Just feel sorry that they have nothing better to do in their lives but to get upset about a very well meant message from you which I thank you for sending to me. A very happy Xmas to you & an excellent 2015.
    I know that you are not the type of person to do this, but if it was me I would immediately remove them from my mailing list because people that have that type of attitude are the ones that lead to all the problems that exist in this world today.

RogerAH said:
      December 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Could not agree more. I too thank you for your very well intentioned greetings, which I reciprocate. You have no reason to apologise – after all, it is supposed to be the season of goodwill!

Mike Shore said:
    December 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I’m not trying to start ‘a rage’, but folk who feign ‘offence’ must ask themcelves what it is within them that prompts them to voice objection. If you don’t like ‘What’s on telly’, turn it off. Easy!
    Thanks for your Good Wishes, MUCH APPRECIATED, mine are still in Photoshop and MS Publisher,

Michael Mackay said:
    December 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I was saddened to hear how some people found your seasonal greeting offensive; Like you, I would be very happy if people of faiths other than my own wished me well in terms their own faith.

I actually feel sorry for those who took offense – their sense of insecurity (in their own faith, or in none) must be a cause of constant anxiety for them. Let’s all just get on together, and stop finding insults where no such thing was intended.

Terrenephotography said:
    December 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Thank you for the thoughts you expressed on this email. I agree with you regarding it is better to receive a well intentioned greeting than none at all. May you have a wonderful Christmas season . . .

steveb said:
    December 14, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Having enjoyed ‘whatevers’ with people of many faiths in my working career I have never felt ‘insulted’ because their religion, festival or whatever was neither English nor in line with my beliefs – the constant attempts to try and make sure no one is offended results in totally the opposite – Michael above has it right – people need to stop finding insults where no such thing was intended.

Here’s wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and for those who don’t celebrate it – a Merry time for you too.

www.christopherfidoephotography.co.nz said:
    December 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Very happy Christmas to you too – my moslem, jewish and budhist friends do not get up tight about merry Christmas – they have a life!

Denis Glennon AO said:
    December 14, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Robin,
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.
    I wish you and your family a peace-filled Christmas and may 2015 bring you and yours continued good health and prosperity.
    Thank you for your thoughtful greeting.
    I was delighted to receive it.
    Your generous and continuous sharing of information is greatly appreciated.
    As one of your subscribers has already mentioned I would simply delete from your mailing list all those who objected to your well intentioned greeting.
    Life is too short to waste time with such people, their intolerance and their bad manners.
    Happy Christmas.
    Warmest Regards,
    Denis.

John Steadman said:
    December 14, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I agree with all that has been said, and I too have friends of different faiths who have never taken offense at being sent Christmas cards.As Michael say’s its time people learned to live in peace with each other.
    Happy Christmas Robin to you and your family and to all subscriber’s of whatever faith they may be.

John

Katherine Babbitt said:
    December 14, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Merry Christmas, Robin. I hope you and your family have a beautiful holiday. You will never be able to please everyone. Your comments and photos inspire me. You bring me joy! Never change.

Professor John Barbour said:
    December 14, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hi Robin Welcome to dealing with the public! My counsel is to ignore the whiners totally. Don’t make excuses or apologise – you will only encourage them! Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year John

December 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I usually like to leave a personal reply to each comment I receive on the blog but this time I think everyone is echoing the same thoughts and feelings. So, thank you to everyone for your continued support. Rest assured I will be continuing into 2015 with some great new ideas to share.

John Marsh said:
    December 14, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Robin, thank you for your wonderful blog and sharing your expertise. Your kind and thoughtful comments always assure me that you care about people and the planet. I appreciate the work you put forth in maintaining and improving your site. How about something different in a message? How about raising a glass of your favorite spirits and saying with me “Here’s to Robin, may he continue to share his knowledge and find on-going success in all that he pursues”! John

Martin said:
    December 14, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Robin

Season’s Greetings to you. Wishing you a happy & healthy 2015.

Martin

serialphotographer said:
    December 14, 2014 at 10:30 pm

The last time I looked we are still a christian based country and added to which I would never find offence in anyone wishing me whatever they did provided it was heartfelt and in line with their beliefs. I certainly would never take offence, others have posted perfectly what they think and I totally agree with them all.

Merry Christmas Robin and hopefully a prosperous new year.

December 15, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Yes we are a christian country in the UK but the website is global and there are members from all over the world. But thak you for your support.

lensaddiction said:
    December 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I don’t think I got the email but I have been fairly busy lately so might have missed it. I don’t particularly care either way as I don’t celebrate Xmas but consider for a moment that you are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Pagan or one of many other non christian cultures/religion/faith.

If you are one of those people I imagine this time of year can be particularly trying for you, esp with the white christian first world ridiculous approach to the festivities.

I would probably be sick of being bombarded with these kind of messages and possibly get grumpy about it (I don’t personally, its my fave time of year for spectator viewing, so many family meltdowns!).

Its why the rather mundane Happy Holidays is so popular, lots of people get holidays but what they do with them is up to them but holidays of any kind are usually worth celebrating 🙂

As another poster commented, welcome to dealing with the great unwashed, we are a rowdy bunch sometimes!

Merry Festive Season to all who celebrate it 🙂

December 15, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Christmas isn’t to everyones taste never mind beliefs I agree, but please don’t take offence at a well intended greeting. There’s a lot more in the world to be offended by.

lensaddiction said:
        December 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm

No Im not offended but I can see how and why other people might be, that was the point of my comment.

maybrick2001 said:
    December 15, 2014 at 9:12 am

Merry Christmas.

Bugger the pc/take easy offense brigade.

I really need to get back to the lakes, such a fantastic place.

December 15, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Thanks and yes you do need to get back to the Lakes. Especially as its winter and the mountains are getting snow on them.

jayne said:
    December 15, 2014 at 1:54 pm

A very Happy Christmas to you too. It is CHristmas and the season of goodwill to all afterall ! If people dont appreciate a ‘friendly site’ they are free to unsubscibe themselves.

John Arnold said:
    December 16, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Thank you for the Christmas greeting. This day and age no one can say anything or do anything without offending someone. No reason to apologize. If you celebrate Christmas (I do) then that is fair for you to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. You never said in the greeting that your religion, mine, or anyone else’s is better or worse than someone else’s. People just love to gripe about something. Thank you again, Merry Christmas to all, and Happy New Year.

Ralph bennett said:
    December 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm

What a shame we can’t get on with each other and recognise when someone is trying to be kind. It’s usually us that are meant to make the changes we all need to be more tolerant of each other
    MerryChristmas and happy New Year to All

December 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for your comments Ralph. Following some of the emails I have also received, I don’t put this down to religion or cultural differences, I put it down to individuals. And I’m also heartened that there are some wonderful people out there.